November 22, 2010

Candied Walnuts

So I've had a package of walnuts sitting on the kitchen counter for about a week and half now. In Saint Lucia time, that's a century! The heat and humidity here make it impossible for any foods to stay fresh if left out. I had originally purchased the walnuts to make a banana nut loaf but with my busy schedule and our lack of running water at the moment, that never happened. To save my walnuts from mortality I decided to try a new recipe: candied walnuts! I found this super easy recipe from thefrugalchef.com and only tweaked it a tiny bit.
here's how mine turned out!
*store in an air-tight container to insure 'crispness' 

Behnaz's take on Mary Ann's candied walnuts:
1 cup walnuts (I want to try pecans and almonds next time)
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1 pinch nutmeg

place nuts in a nonstick pan
mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in bowl
add mixture to nuts
turn burner on to medium heat
stir constantly so as to not burn sugar and/or nuts
this entire process takes about 5 minutes

to cool, I very lightly coated a piece of foil (placed on cookie sheet) with vegetable oil, spread candied nuts onto foil, and popped it in the fridge for about an hour

Candied nuts would make a lovely gift, an ice cream topping, sprinkled over a spinach salad, or as a snack on their own.

Have a gorgeous day and let me know if you tried the candied nuts!


boos!
Tweet This

No comments:

Post a Comment